CC Global: 2016 Volvo FH – Full-Size Educational Vehicle

Volvo FH 4x2 - 1

This is the most common big rig set-up as used by our driving schools: a 4×2 box truck with a tall sleeper cab, towing a close-coupled tandem axle trailer. If you want to go all the way, I mean getting a CE driver’s license, then you’ll have to pass the test in some type of combination vehicle. The letter C is for rigid chassis only, the E is for trailers and semi-trailers.

Furthermore, a medical test is mandatory for a C or CE license. Every five years, as a matter of fact, otherwise you can’t renew your license. When you want to become a professional truck driver, you also need to pass the Code 95 test, the basic qualification for the practical side of the trucking business; to be renewed every five years through 35 hours of in-service training.

Volvo FH 4x2 - 2

Driving schools often opt for the top model of one of the Euro truck makers, like Van Thiel’s Volvo FH-series, with an engine displacement ranging from 10 to 13 liter. Some other examples are the DAF XF, Mercedes-Benz Actros and MAN TGX.

Iveco Daily double cab box truck

Now suppose you don’t want to go all the way, in that case a C1 driver’s license will do. Good for any rigid chassis with a GVWR from 3,500 to 7,500 kg (7,716 to 16,535 lbs). Said license is also referred to as the motorhome driver’s license. The Iveco Daily double cab box truck above -7,000 kg GVWR- is an example of a driving school vehicle that will get you there (photo courtesy of Kemp Rijopleidingen).

Related article:

CC Global: 2016 DAF XF Towing a 2005 Chéreau Semi-Trailer – Extra Long Big Rig For Driving Lessons