posted at the Cohort by Tim Finn
I know; most of you are not fans of this sort of thing, and you have all sorts of good reasons for your distaste and even revulsion. But I’m a proud contrarian, and I’m going to set myself the task of coming up with ten good reasons why I like it.
Here goes (this might be harder than I first thought):
- It’s amusing and funny, as in Fun House funny. You know, where you walk through the hall of mirrors and see yourself and others madly distorted; crazy tall and skinny; super short and fat. It makes us laugh. This is amusing too, but not in a snide way. It’s just funny; beats looking at another stock Miata.
- I appreciate the work that must go into making this a rolling reality. I don’t know exactly how it’s done, but I’m sure it took some doing.
- I love Bosozoku style, and those exhaust pipes are evocative of that.
- It’s keeping folks employed at tire factories, thanks to the wildly uneven wear on the tires. Note the sticker still on that rear tire. How long do they last? 5k miles? Less?
- I get a bit of a kick when others get so easily turned off and triggered by something like this, resulting in comments full of bile and repulsion. Same thing with the really giant dubs on old American cars. That’s probably not nice of me, but that’s how I roll.
- It reminds me of doing LSD when I was a teenager.
- It evokes swing axle suspensions and why I like them more than most people, by far. One of these days I’m going to write my long-delayed “In Defense Of The swing Axle” article. They are not properly appreciated, despite certain little vices.
- Although I wish there were maybe a few regulations on cars and motorcycles, like maximum loudness, I appreciate that folks have the freedom to do this here when they would not be able to in some other countries.
- It reminds me that one of the best things about getting old is that a lot of prejudices fall away. One (hopefully) increasingly appreciates more and more things in life, since it’s all just the absurd play of humans. Why be a hater? It’s so boring.
- Seeing one of these driving down the road challenges one’s sensibilities or long held assumptions. This is not supposed to be able to work, but it does. You see? There’s more than one way to mount wheels on a car. Don’t be stuck in a rut. (I admit this one is similar to #9, but I’m running out of ideas and time).
So how about you? Ten reasons why you hate this?